Hoarding Clean Up: We are here to help our Geauga County neighbors.
Hoarding is a serious illness that typically stems from a mental disorder or psychical limitations. A person who suffers from a hoarding disorder may not have the ability to part from their belongings. Often, they need to first seek counseling from a professional. They also need the help and support from loved ones. Here are a few tips if you decide to assist a loved one get a fresh new start:
- Items Needed: PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), disposable gloves, dust masks/ respirator, steel toe boots, hard hat, and goggles to avoid exposure to mold, parasites, and other health concerns that may be present. Contractor trash bags, cleaning and disinfecting supplies, sponges, cleaning rags, mops, brooms, vacuum, ladder, tape and empty boxes. Also, be sure to have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and bug spray readily available. Note, if this home contains any biohazardous materials it is best to call a professional company. Biohazardous trash can’t be discarded with everyday household trash.
- Take pictures throughout entire home
- Start by cleaning the bathroom, as you will need access to soap and water
- Separate trash from salvageable items, disposing of trash
- Once you have disposed of all the trash and debris, separate salvageable items into two separate piles; items you will keep verse items you will donate.
- Next, you need to determine if items will be boxed up for storage or if items will be left onsite.
- Finally, you can begin the cleaning and sanitization process. (If furnished you may need to have carpet and upholstery cleaned as well as bedding and window treatments laundered.)
- If your loved one will be returning home after the cleanup, help them maintain a clean and clutter-free living space. Get other family members involved, visit often, and provide further assistance if necessary.
About SERVPRO of Geauga County
SERVPRO of Geauga County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property. SERVPRO of Geauga County will work discreetly with you and your family. We are trained to adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitization standards, making us the #1 choice for cleanup and restoration. Call 440-564-7266 or email us at office@SERVPRO10360.com to see how we can help clean your home or business.