If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (440) 564-7266

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Cigarette Fires Are Preventable!

4/29/2021 (Permalink)

Garbage Can Fire Fire caused by a cigarette thrown in a trash can the was not completely put out.

Most home fires occur in the kitchen while cooking and are the leading cause of injuries from fire. Another cause of fires at night are carelessly discarded cigarettes. These fires can be particularly dangerous because they may smolder for a long period before being discovered by sleeping residents.

Cigarette fires are preventable! The following are simple steps that each of us can take to prevent a tragedy.


  • If you smoke, smoke outside. Most home fires caused by smoking materials start inside the home. Put your cigarettes out in a can filled with sand.
  • Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out. The cigarette really needs to be completely stubbed out in an ashtray or can with sand. Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can.
  • Check for cigarette butts. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast. Don't put ashtrays on them. If people have been smoking in the home, check for cigarettes under cushions.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used, even if it is turned off. Oxygen can be explosive and makes fire burn hotter and faster.
  • Be alert - don’t smoke in bed! If you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy, put your cigarette out first.

If you have unfortunately suffered from a fire and need restoration, cleanup services, do not hesitate to contact the appropriate professionals. Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 440-564-7266

For more information on fire or water damage situations, visit http://www.SERVPROgeaugacounty.com/

Other News

View Recent Posts