Grease Fire Prevention
Are you getting ready for the big game, a birthday party, or wing night? Did you know cooking and cooking equipment that overheats, is the most common cause of household fires?
Here are a few tips to keep you safe:
- Stay in the kitchen whenever you cook with oil or grease
- Use a heavy stock pot with a lid
- Keep the handles of pot turned so it can’t get knocked over.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near by
- If you notice smoke while cooking, it’s too hot. Turn off, let it cool.
- Use a thermometer and read the temperature guidelines on the oil label.
- Do not keep any flammable items on or near your stove.
If a grease fire does occur and the fire is manageable, here are a few tips:
- Call 911
- Protect your hair, skin, and body
- Turn flame off immediately
- Apply a lid onto the pot
- Do not touch the pot
- Never apply water, flour, sugar, towels or aprons to put a grease fire out.
- Use a dry and chemical-based fire extinguisher (Class B Extinguisher)
- If none of the above work, GET OUT! Wait for help to arrive.
- Call your Insurance Company
- Call a professional Mitigation Company
Always remember the P.A.S.S. Technique
P - Pull the pin on the fire extinguisher.
A - Aim the fire extinguisher at the fires base
S - Squeeze the handle.
S - Sweep the nozzle from side to side while pointing toward the base of the fire.
If you have unfortunately suffered from a fire and need restoration, cleanup services, do not hesitate to contact the appropriate professionals.
Call us at 440-564-7266
Visit http://www.SERVPROgeaugacounty.com for more information on fire damage.